Thursday, October 2, 2008

People with Disabilities: The Untapped market

If People with Disabilities, numbering around 55 million in the United States alone and more than 840 million world wide, take 32 million trips per year and spend $13.6 billion per year on travel, then why are they still the most overlooked group of consumers when it comes to marketing? The answer is simple; until now there have never been any reliable statistics and demographics available. Well now thanks to the Open Doors Organization there are reliable demographics. It seems simple to me that here are 55 million consumers that are not being targeted in marketing strategies. What are you waiting for?

When I do talks for public relations firms and tourism groups I am always amazed at the number of jaws on the ground and the number of people that just don’t realize the spending potential of this niche of consumer.

I would love to hear your comments on this topic and would love to share some of what I know. Please email me at craigkennedy@ckconsultingonline.com with comments and questions.

No comments: